The steeping effect sets in quickly. The vodka goes from clear to a pretty amber color. Ideally, the vanilla should steep for at least a month, till the vanilla is a dark brown. The longer it steeps the stronger the vanilla flavor.
It’s been a while since I posted a tutorial! Today, I’m going to share the process for creating a book wreath. Warning- no decent books were harmed in the making of this blog post. Nor were any library books destroyed. “Summer People” was a Target purchase a few years back. I can’t imagine re-reading this book or bestowing such a dragging story on any friends or family. I always liked the cover though- this book finds redemption in it’s physical appearance, ergo, it’s perfect for the following endeavor.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 Styrofoam wreath (mine is 10 in)
1 book you’re willing to destroy
1 package of stick pins
1 hot glue gun and hot glue
Paint (gray, brown, or silver)
Now, for the process:
1. Paint the edges of the book using gray, brown or silver paint. This will help the pages to look aged.
2. Carefully rip all the pages out of the book.
3. Fold each page accordion, fan style. I made 5 creases in each page, folding the short way.
Here’s my little helper, making a little weasel bed in a pile of the finished pages.
4. Glue and pin one layer of fanned pages onto the back of the wreath like this:
5. Turn the wreath over. Glue and pin the next layer around the outer side of the wreath. Apply the glue on a small tab like this:
We bought a house a few months ago and it has been SO much fun doing projects and making it our own! One of the first things I knew I wanted to do was install a tin ceiling in the guest bedroom. My favorite coffee shop back home in Minnesota had a purple tin ceiling that really made the joint. Our house kind of reminds me of that place- antique/ artsy/ shabby chic. So a tin ceiling was a must. They are so pricey though… who can spend over a grand on a ceiling when there are cats to feed. I decided on a faux technique I found on the internet. Initially, when I ran this by Joe, he looked at me like this…
and said- that’s a project. You have fun with that. Lucky for me, I’ve been known to seize fabulous opportunities when they slap me in the face. Early in the ayem one fine snow day- the fine fella got on board with my plan:) Never underestimate the power of a captive audience- emphasis on captive- hehe:) Here’s what we did:
1. Selected a ceiling to tin. Removed light fixture:
2..Purchased Allen and Roth Paintable Wallpaper, Pattern: Ceiling Tile.
3. Covered the floor in with plastic drop cloths and soaked the prepasted wallpaper using this thingy:
6. Over the next few days- half of the paper fell down- oh dear! We bought a bottle of boarder paste, which is technically used for hanging wallpaper boarders as well as a few tubes of seam repair. This stuff did the trick. Nobody ever said wallpapering a ceiling would be easy- not even me.
7. Next, I ordered some paint off of Ebay. I used Roman’s Paintable Wallpaper Coating in Silver. They used to sell this stuff at Lowe’s, but I believe the product itself has been discontinued. Hence the reason I ordered it off of Ebay. USPS- pay no attention to this blog post… is it legal to mail paint? My guess would be not-so-much, but I’m not totally sure. I applied the paint using a medium texture roller. I ran out of paint and had to order a second can off of Ebay. Nobody ever said this project would be a quick one either!
So- here we are- the final product:
Overall- this was a heckuva project! I might do one more glaze over the top to bring out the detail… we’ll see! For now- I’m happy enough to leave it alone!
Since we just bought a house we are working on collecting some furniture. Joe and I have spent the last 8-9 years living in furnished apartments and dorm rooms so all we have we really have is a plethora of book shelves, a mattress, and a box spring. We have a ways to go. This is why, I decided to peruse, Rollanet! It turns out our fellow Rollaonians have boycotted Craig’s List… in favor of Rolla Net:. I wish I would have realized this about a year ago… I have spent a fair amount of time searching Craig’s List in vain for anything on sale within a hundred miles of Rolla. Go figure- I was recently clued in on Rolla’s preferred on-line classifieds server, so on we go… I purchased the following bedroom set… there are 5 pieces total. Apparently I didn’t get a before picture of all the pieces…
Step 3: Using a paint brush, apply a thin coat of Valspar Interior Faux Finish. This finish needs to be tinted when you buy it. I had it tinted “New Black” at Lowe’s. The finish is painted on with a paint brush and then wiped off with a damp cloth. This finish makes all the etching in this set pop out.
The following recipe has been flying around my family’s e-mail accounts this week…
Super fun, super easy DIY project I put together for our new kitchen! Here’s what you do…
Previous 1 2 3 4